Monday, April 19, 2010

Two More

I just finished two more aprons. One for my nephew who just turned 7. He asked me last fall to make him a pirate quilt! I am too far behind to oblige that request and came up with this solution instead. Pirate ships on one side and cute pirates on the other. You can't see it in detail but the button is an old brass one. Very fitting.
The second apron got a bit of an overhaul in production. I mean I made the ties for the waist the full 45" width so the kids can tie and untie it themselves. I think this will be used all the future aprons. It was a last minute gift that worked out perfectly. The birthday boy loves frogs!
These take about one hour to make if I don't have machine troubles or get interrupted by any of the 4 kiddos.

You may ask: Do your kids love their aprons? I will have to say I haven't yet made any for my own kids! Maybe I'll make them for the kids for Mother's Day.
Posted by Picasa

School Lunch Napkins

Inspired by SMS. Here is the link to a cute snack set pdf. I don’t know about you but I get tired of my kids clothes (shirts especially) coming home a disaster. So these napkins will be used at school. The goal is to make 5 for each of them, one for each day. They have to bring home the dirty one in order to get a clean one!

This is a fast project. It took me longer to pick out the fabric than it did to sew them up.

I made my napkins double-sided. The square ones started out 10x10 and finished at about 9 1/2” square. The rectangular ones are cut from a fat quarter divided into fourths (about 9x11). I think next time I will cut them 9 ½” square to start and end up a little smaller but square. The look of a rectangular napkin is throwing me off!

Then in the middle of this quick craft session I had to make a mini pressing board. My 4 year old bumped into the iron and burned his hand. I am think this board will help in keeping it more out of reach. I think I might have to make some more of these fabric boards and hang them! This a made with a scrap of Michael Miller fabric layered over two layers of flannel and a layer of polyester batting. I hot glued the two cork boards together. I wasn’t sure about using a spray adhesive on a something that would get hot. This was inspired by Oh, Fransson TV tray revamp.