Sunday, March 7, 2010

Marching On


While I haven't done much in the way of crafting in the past month we have been busy with school projects. This is IA's submission (1st grade). He picked the dot by Peter H. Reynolds. We love this book and it's sequel ish. He has written and illustrated many books. We also love the Judy Moody and Stink books by Megan MacDonald. We spent about a week working on art. Each making our own dots or "no dots". These are all his own work.

This is EJ's book fair submission (3rd grade). She chose heartbeat by Sharon Creech. We love this book and every other one we have read by her. We love her imagery and lyrical style. Bloomability is one that I really enjoyed but EJ hasn't read yet. She had a lot of fun leaving her footprints and painting this apple.

The other obsession is Box Tops for Education. I am the school coordinator and each month I am coming up with new ideas for rewards and challenges to keep the students excited. February was the Love Your School Challenge.
Here is my one sewing craft for the whole month! My sewing room is train wreck but it is on the mend, the machine is serviced and I just might get back on track.
I made this apron for a 1st grade party my son went to. Here is WH modeling it for me. Brown cordoroy with guitar fabric. The birthday boy is taking guitar lessons. This will be the gift for this year. Aprons. A mother at the party asked if I make them to sell. No. But I might. She said "Call me!"

So my question is how much do you charge for a custom child-size apron? I like the idea but there are so many things that stop me from doing business. Thoughts?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I've been asked a lot if I make things to sell lately. I don't mind making custom things to sell, but I don't think I could ever mass produce one or just a couple of things. It would drive me crazy and I think take the creative fun out of it. To get an idea of what to charge, check out etsy or something like that to get an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For an apron like that I would figure out how much it cost for the fabric then double it. For instance, aprons that I can make with 1 1/4 yards of fabric, I usually charge $20. And people buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time, time, who's got the time? I've never been able to make a loving and peaceful place for my family, and have a 'business' on the side. Oh and I've tried. and I'll probably keep trying. Thank goodness children are resilient.
    Can't wait to see you this weekend! Is the whole fam coming?

    ReplyDelete