Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Using "Leaving Gee's Bend" in the classroom

A friend said her son's 4th grade class had used Leaving Gee's Bend by Irene Latham as the basis for an Alabama history project. They read the book and had parents help in the classroom teaching the students to hand piece a 9-patch quilt block. The blocks were then pieced together into a quilt (actually each student ended up taking their own home. I will make them into a quilt.)

I am loving this idea and the teacher said that would be wonderful.

My concern is about the book. Have any of you read it? There is a small bit about childbirth and I am a little worried that it might offend some students/parents. Any thoughts on this? I am hoping to be able to have several parents read the book (it's a fast read) and get their feedback.

Now to get a concrete plan together so the our teacher can work it into the class plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment